Thursday, January 28, 2016

Review: Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles #2)

Sorry I haven't posted a review in a week! I have midterms right now and I'm spending all of my free time studying/doing homework, but I finally managed to make time to do this :) .

Also, I've realized that I never shared my Goodreads profile with you, so if you want to look at that just click here.

16109664Book: Once We Were

Author: Kat Zhang

Rating: 3/5 stars

Review: I have mixed opinions on this book because although I found myself sometimes not enjoying it, in terms of being a sequel this book was amazing. It tied up a lot of the loose ends of the first book and kept the story going exactly the way I wanted it. Also, Kat Zhang was very good at refreshing my memory of what happened in the last book (there was a gap of several years between when I read the first one and this one). I almost never had trouble figuring out who an old character was, or why a certain place was significant and what happened there. If I was just rating it as a sequel and not on the content, I would give it 4/5 stars.

Another thing that I love is how cool the actual concept of the book is. Basically, in a different version of America/the world, people are born with two souls in one body, but normally the "recessive soul" (the weaker one) disappears before people reach middle school age. However, although the main character is the recessive soul, she never fully vanished from her body.

Although the idea of the book was amazing, I didn't particularly enjoy reading this book and it felt a lot longer than it's actual length of 350 pages. I often had to force myself not to stop reading it altogether, and I'm happy that I finished it because now I can read something that I'll enjoy. The major problem with the book was that there wasn't enough action. This made for long stretches of nothnig big happening, which made me want to throw the book out of the window. If I were to just rate the plot/story, I would give it a 2/5.

Overall, a 3/5 seems like a fair rating because while I didn't like the overall feel of the book, the way it continued the story was very good.

Would I recommend it: It's right on the border between yes/no so honestly it depends on how cool the synopsis sounds, because it does capture the feel of the book pretty well

-Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment