Thursday, January 21, 2016

Review: Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms #4)

 WARNING: If you haven't read the first three books in this series yet, there may be minor spoilers


17342701

Book: Frozen Tides

Author:  Morgan Rhodes

Rating: 4/5 stars

Review: This book was definitely my favorite in the series so far! One of the things I loved the most was the way that the chapters switched POV between so many characters (all of the books are like that but in this one there are a lot more characters). This made the book a lot more complicated, because you'd know when a villain was planning something new, what feelings people had for another, when someone was lying, or when someone was dead/dying before any of the other characters knew. However, this also made the book extremely annoying because you would know that a character was about to be attacked but then you'd have to read about the character from their POV and they didn't know anything and it was agony not being able to tell them to watch out.

Another thing I liked was that Morgan Rhodes stopped killing off all of the characters. My major problem with the first three books was that everyone except a few people were always dead by the end of the book. Sure, this book wasn't perfect—some people I loved still died—but it was much better than the others. In fact, Morgan Rhodes went as far as to let a character who was definitely dead come back to life at the end (which is probably the point where I hugged the book).

The only thing I didn't really like was that I wanted more magic. I mean, there was still magic, but in general my two favorite parts of fantasy books are the world building and the magic, and I didn't feel satisfied with the amount. The thing that annoyed me the most was that throughout the book, there was almost no development with the Kindred, and even though YOU know the secret behind what they actually are, almost no one (even the people in possession of one of them) realize what they actually are.

Would I recommend it: Overall the book was really good and it's definitely worth giving the series a try if you haven't already

-Serena :)

No comments:

Post a Comment